4-6 tablespoons melted butter
7 sheets of phyllo
3 green garlic shoots, (substitute 4 scallions or small bunch of chives and 2 cloves of garlic)
8 ounces creamy fresh goat cheese, at room temperature
2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large bunch greens (approx. 1 pound) such as Swiss chard, kale, or spinach, washed and trimmed
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Brush a small sheet pan or baking dish (9 by 13 inches) well with melted butter. Lay one sheet of phyllo dough centered over the pan. The edges will overhang. Brush sheet lightly with butter. Continue to layer sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter until all 7 sheets are stacked. Brush the edges well with butter. Fold these overlapping edges just over the sides of the pan. Crimp gently against side of the pan to create a small rim. —-
2. Trim the ends of the garlic shoots and wash well. Remove any dirty or imperfect outer leaves. Slice the white end (or garlic clove) thinly and set aside. Mince the green end (or scallions or chives) well. —-
3. Mix the goat cheese with the minced green garlic until smooth. Add the egg and mix well until incorporated. Gently spread this mixture on the filo crust just to the edge. —-
4. Bake on the lower rack of the oven for 13 to 18 minutes until the edges of the dough are nicely browned and the cheese is set. Remove from oven. —-
5. While the tart is baking prepare the greens. Remove the leaves from the stems of chard or kale. If using spinach trim away any tough stems and slice into wide ribbons. If using chard, slice the stems thinly and the leaves coarsely. If using kale discard tough stems, slice tender stems and leaves coarsely. —-
6. Heat oil in a medium saute pan until just shimmering. Add the sliced white end of the garlic shoots. Stir and quickly add the stem ends and then leaves of the greens. Cook uncovered, stirring regularly, until the greens are wilted and tender. Season well with salt and fresh pepper. —-
7. To serve, spoon the greens into a mound on the center of the baked cheesy tart shell. Make sure each serving gets a share of wilted greens.
Per serving (based on 6): 423 calories, 18 grams protein, 29 grams carbohydrates, 1 grams sugar, 29 grams fat, 91 cholesterol, 412 milligrams sodium, 3 grams dietary fiber.